This incredibly fresh-tasting cranberry, tangerine & crystallized ginger relish came from a food magazine years back, at least fifteen. Once I began making this cranberry relish, I stopped making the cooked cranberry sauce recipe that had been used by our family for such a long time.
The citrus and candied ginger add a nice spark to the relish. It freezes beautifully, a big plus for my cooking, since I use cranberry sauce/relish in recipes all year long. Surprisingly, the brilliant color survives the freezing. I usually double the recipe, especially for Thanksgiving, and frequently use the defrosted batch with pork tenderloin.
LtC TIP: yes, use the whole tangerine, peel and all.
Yields 3 Cups
- one 12 oz. bag of cranberries
- one tangerine (unpeeled), halved, seeded, cut into 1/4- inch pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar or honey
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
1. Using on/off turns, coarsely chop cranberries in processor. Transfer to medium bowl.
2. Using on/off turns, coarsely chop tangerine in processor. Combine with cranberries. Mix in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Can be made one week ahead. Keeps well in fridge and/or freezer. Serve at room temperature.