Still recovering from my second and complicated hand surgery, I’m rejoicing in returning to simple cooking. Unfortunately, my food photography and blogging has to take a back seat to rehab. Meanwhile, this is a timely post from a couple of years ago that I recently made using oranges and Meyer lemons from our bumper citrus crop this Spring…
I’m always looking for recipes to please my gluten-free, vegan friends and made this red quinoa salad recently for our monthly writing group to enjoy. It has been a challenge for me to learn how to make both gluten-free and vegan recipes, so it is an ongoing search for new recipes that I can prepare.
Since our Meyer lemon and navel orange trees are covered with fruit, I wanted to feature them in this red quinoa salad, even in the vinaigrette. Hoping that the colors would be pretty, I opted to use red rather than plain quinoa here.
Because I was in a hurry and knew I’d be busy the morning of our meeting, I made the salad the night before, adding the orange sections and toasted pistachios just before serving at lunch.
You could throw almost anything into this salad, but I kept it simple and let the seasonal citrus flavors dominate in my salad.
- 1 12-ounce box of red quinoa
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or homemade vegetable stock
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 large navel oranges, peeled and cut into sections
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- ¼ cup flat-leaved parsley, chopped
- navel orange and Meyer lemon zest curls (optional garnish)
- 1 7-ounce package or organic baby greens
- Using a medium-sized saucepan, heat the stock until it boils. Add the quinoa, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, until all the stock has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow cooked quinoa to "rest", covered, while you prepare the vinaigrette.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, orange zest, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the cooked quinoa into a bowl, add the vinaigrette and toss.
- Add the orange sections, pistachios and parsley. Toss. Garnish and serve over baby greens.