I had heard a lot about green smoothies but had always turned my nose up at the idea of them. My early smoothies left me with a bitter taste in my mouth and a hankering for toast with jam and butter. More experimenting and a snazzy new blender goaded me into getting my money’s worth, as my family used to say, and soon I became hooked on them.
The beauty of a green smoothie is that you can play with your ingredients and forego serious measuring. I like to add some unsweetened frozen fruit to fresh ingredients, just because I enjoy the icy temperature and texture.
Make it easy on yourself and use pre-washed, packaged organic greens.
Many thanks to Stacy for inspiring me to take the green smoothie challenge, and to Kim for cheerleading and giving me the tip to add stevia. (It takes away the slightly bitter aftertaste of the greens.)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup organic nonfat milk
- 2-3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups loosely packed organic baby spinach or (roughly chopped) organic kale
- 5-6 chunks unsweetened frozen mango
- 1 organic navel orange, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-6 drops stevia extract
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Purée on high one minute.
2. Serve at once.