Whenever we visit Kauai, we head straight for the nearest farmers market, called “Sunshine Markets” all over the island. It’s pretty easy to find one nearby almost daily.
Groceries are very expensive all over the Islands, and Kauai is no exception. I cringe at the prices for basic necessities such as eggs, bread, milk and any kind of meat or chicken. There are local seafood markets, but I have a lot to learn about Hawaiian fish and how to cook it.
The Sunshine Markets, however, are filled with beautiful produce at bargain prices. Unlike our pricey Farmers Markets here in San Diego, those in the Garden Isle (Kauai’s nickname) are loaded with tempting fresh produce, mostly reasonably priced. This gorgeous bouquet of tropical flowers cost only $5 and were still fresh when we had to fly home!
One evening, I threw together a salad to have with our grilled chicken. Usually I don’t mix fruit with traditional salad veggies, but everything from the Lihue Sunshine Market looked and smelled so fresh, I just had to use it all – except for the pile of papayas that we shared every morning at breakfast.
The garden of our rental house had a Tahitian lime tree, covered with tiny, sweet and thin-skinned fruit. The owner urged us to help ourselves, so I used some in the vinaigrette. They were also terrific in our vodka tonics that we sipped every evening on our lanai. Citrus is also surprisingly expensive in Kauai, so “our” tree was another bonus.
LtC TIP: Use any of the juice that accumulates from cutting up the fruit, either in the vinaigrette or just pour directly on the salad.
- 2 Tablespoons fruity olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mango and/or pineapple juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 3 cups organic lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup fresh mango, chopped
- ½ cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 scallions, chopped, white and light green portions only
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted, toasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- Whisk together all ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
- Assemble all the salad ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the vinaigrette, toss and serve promptly.