I’ve pretty much abandoned my frustrating search for decent-tasting commercially prepared soups that are classified “low sodium”. In fact, I believe there is no such thing, unfortunately, for the thousands of folks such as my husband and myself, who watch the amount of salt we consume.
So, I make all our soups that we enjoy and am always on the lookout for a new recipe. I think this spring green pea soup fits the bill, with or without the Parmesan crisps. If you want to make this completely vegetarian, substitute vegetable stock for the chicken. A vegan version would omit both the cream and the crisps.
I made both the soup and the crisps within thirty minutes, so this recipe pulls together in a jiffy. Make the soup only an hour or two before you plan to serve it, to take advantage of its pretty color.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large shallots, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 Parmesan crisps (see recipe below)
- Heat oil in medium-sized saucepan.
- Add shallots and sauté under tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add peas and stock - heat until simmering. Remove from heat.
- Using either a n immersion or standing blender, purée soup until smooth.
- If using a standing blender, return puréed soup to pot.
- Add cream, salt and pepper. Return to a simmer.
- Ladle into bowls, top with a Parmesan crisp or two, and serve.
- Parmesan Crisps:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Drop 4 generous tablespoons of coarsely grated Parmesan cheese onto the pan, each about an inch or two apart.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from pan with spatula and allow to cool slightly before garnishing each bowl.