Last week or so I was cleaning out my stash of recipes, including a huge pile of recipes that I planned to try one of these days – or years. I found a half sheet of paper with some scribbled notes for a red pepper jam. Uncertain of the source of this recipe, I decided to add some yellow peppers, fresh tomatoes and crystallized ginger.
The title is a joke in response to a group of us bonding together on Facebook and Twitter last week over our intense dislike of green bell peppers. Who knew so many foodies have such strong feelings about the innocent green bell pepper?In any case, some of my red peppers were partially green, a huge concession on my part! By the way, do you know that a red, yellow or orange bell pepper has more vitamin C than does an orange?
We enjoyed this jam both as a condiment with pork and chicken, or slathered over goat cheese on toasted baguette slices.
Yields 3 pints (6 eight-ounce jars)
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 6 red and 6 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 fresh tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, thinly sliced
- zest and juice of 1 Meyer lemon, or any organic lemon
- 4 tablespoons organic honey
1. Using a large pot, heat the vinegars and sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3 hours.
3. Can in sterilized jars according to safe canning procedures. Alternative: store, covered, in fridge for up to several weeks.
I love pepper jam in all its forms! I will definitely be trying yours when my current batch is finished off! And I didn’t realize how much vitamin C there is here – thanks for that information!
Poor Larry – I remind him of the vitamin C stat every time I serve us red/orange/yellow peppers – but it’s true! And your recipe looks better than mine!
ooh, I love this recipe. Love the spicing!
Sounds great, I love peppers (even green!) have added to my list of “to makes”!
Try ChezSuzanne’s “Red Pepper Jam” on food52 – I think her recipe is better than mine.
I can’t say I dislike green bells, but all the other colors are better. So as they say it’s a moot point. GREG
I guess you won’t be joining us on our “I Hate Green Bell Peppers” fb page, Greg…
I HATE green bell peppers!! They are my least beloved food on the planet. It even got to the point where I was a little lukewarm about the other colors, too, but this may have changed my mind! I might try it on my cottage cheese…
I appreciate strong opinions in this arena.
This sounds interesting but you omitted the processing method/time. How long do you process this?
I think it was 15 minutes – hope that helps.