Today was the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and the day has hit me harder than I had anticipated. I’m not much of a baker, but somehow felt an urge to make something sweet, a treat for us to enjoy during the long afternoon.
The older I get, the more I prefer the flavor of lemon over chocolate. My mother and I used to joke, “Old people love lemon.” Well, count me in!
This is my Mom’s recipe, a pretty standard one for lemon bars. The Meyer lemons from our tree make a slightly sweeter bar, so I added some zest to give the cookies an extra kick of lemon flavor.
Yields 1 dozen good-sized bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour and powdered sugar together. Add the butter and mix until blended.
3. Line a 9X13 baking dish with parchment paper. Using your hands, press in the shortbread dough.
4. Bake shortbread for 25 minutes, until the edges are beginning to brown.
5. Using the same bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice.
6. Pour the lemon filling on top of the baked shortbread crust and bake an additional 25 minutes.
7. Sprinkle uncut lemon bars with powdered sugar while still hot.
8. Cool well before cutting into squares and serving.
Oh I must have been old for years then because lemon is one of my favorite flavors!! I tried lemon bars earlier this year for the 1st time but they werent so successful, I will try again with your recipe!
Oh Liz, I adore Lemon Bars. My lemons are not ready yet, but this recipe is a keeper for me and when I harvest, these are on my “to do” list. Thanks for sharing your Mom’s special recipe.
This is one fool-proof recipe. Hope it works for you, Jayne.
Actually, I think it is a pretty standard recipe but you are right, I love it that it was given to me by my Mom.
Love, love, love lemon desserts. This sounds great. I think that I will make them tomorrow for guests. Thanks for sharing.
Great! Make sure to chill them before cutting them, then allow your plate of bars to come to room temperature before serving.
Mmm…haven’t made lemon bars in seeming forever. They’re a favorite, and I’m surprised I rarely make them. Yours look delicious!
I hope you try them – and they freeze well too…
I am so jealous that you have Meyer lemons on your tree!! Mine from last season are long gone, and this year’s batch is not even close to ripe. 🙁
Lemon bars are definitely on the list for when that day arrives!
Our season was very late this year but we are loaded – as is the neighbor’s tree – and we share our oranges.