This simple cranberry salsa is the perfect way to use up the extra bag of cranberries that end up hiding in the fridge after Thanksgiving. I always stash one in my freezer and usually don’t discover it until Spring arrives.
Such a pretty color, this cranberry salsa is seasonal as well as fresh-tasting, pairing well with rich meats or poultry served this time of year. It’s great on a cheese tray as well, nice with cheddar, brie or stilton. There is always the fallback chips and salsa with drinks.
Since Larry has a strong dislike for cilantro, I subbed flat-leaved parsley. My husband swears that cilantro tastes like soap…
After weeks of not posting anything new on my site, it’s great to be recovering from hand surgery, just in time for the December holidays. Best wishes to you all for a lovely celebration and a Happy 2016 ahead.
- 1 12-ounce bag of frozen cranberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ small red onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro or flat-leaved parsley, stems removed
- ½ fresh jalopeno, seeded and white pith removed
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, roughly chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- optional garnish: curls of orange zest
- Place frozen cranberries in food processor and coarsely chop. Turn into a medium-sized bowl. Stir in the sugar and orange juice.
- Place the onion in the processor and chop finely. Add to salsa.
- Place the cilantro (or parsley), pepper and ginger in the processor and chop finely. Add to salsa and mix well.
- Add orange zest to salsa, stir and refrigerate overnight before serving.
So glad your hand is healing well. Happy holidays to you and Larry. xo!
Thanks, Andrew – yes, my new hand is my best holiday gift…
Perfect! And the color is gorgeous Liz 🙂 This recipe is going to be pinned for sure!
Hope you can put your feet up SOON, dear Wendy xo
Wow Liz, that looks fantastic, so festive and never thought to use cranberries in a salsa. Brilliant. Happy Holidays to you and Larry!!
And to you as well, Suzanne. I am having trouble logging in correctly to view your posts and will work on fixing that in the new year. Rest assured, I am reading them and remembering your precious pooches and our Daisy.
I’m with your hubby, cilantro tastes like soap to me, too!
Such a common, almost universal reaction –
Welcome back Liz! Lovely salsa, so quick and easy too! Perfect for this time of year.
Hope the snow will find you soon in beautiful New Hampshire, Jayne – xo
Yay, you’re back in the kitchen and your all dressed up in red! XOGREG
You crack me up – yes, it feels great – until next surgery…
This is so interesting Liz – not something I would usually make but I love all the flavors including the bit of heat. This would be so delish on sandwiches or with fresh roasted turkey. Glad your hand is healing up nicely!
Thanks Beth, turns out that it freezes well too – Happy Holidays. I love your recipe posts on Facebook, especially the breakfast ones.