Cinco De Mayo is just around the corner, and this fresh salsa is a “must” for your celebration, along with a batch of my fresh raspberry or pineapple-Meyer lemon margaritas.
The perfect salsa recipe comes from my friend Kelsey Banfield’s fabulous new cookbook, The Family Calendar Cookbook. I can’t wait to cook my way through it all year long! Kelsey’s “Peach Tomato Salsa” comes from her chapter of Cinco De Mayo recipes.
Imagine my surprise, when I ran out to our local market, to discover that fresh peaches weren’t due for another week, too late for our Cinco De Mayo party. Last-minute-Liz had to sub with a ripe mango on hand for chutney-making tomorrow. As it turned out, the mango was a pretty good choice, juicy and sweet.
Fresh salsas appear on our table all year long, pepping up simple meals of grilled fish, pork or chicken. Experiment with different combos of seasonal fruits, add a handful of chopped onion, fresh herbs and as much jalapeño as you dare…
TIP: Removing the seeds from any hot pepper will greatly reduce the amount of heat in your salsa.
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño papper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large peaches or peeled mangos, pitted and chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- juice from 2 limes
- pinch of kosher salt
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, tomato, jalapeño , cilantro and the mango or peach.
- Mix together well, then add the lime juice and salt. Stir.
- Allow salsa to sit a few minutes before serving, to allow flavors to develop and blend.
Such a lovely fresh salsa Liz, love it. It would be amazing with fish
Thanks, Suzanne – wishing you and Nando a peaceful weekend. xo
Oh this looks so good! Mango was the perfect substitute here 🙂 Peaches are just starting to come down from Georgia, can’t want to try this Liz!
I’m eager to try it with the peaches, Wendy – couldn’t believe they weren’t quite in season yet.
I got some peaches at our Santa Cruz Farmer’s Market. I love salsa made with mangos. Your salsa looks delicious. Who needs peaches?
I liked the way the mango worked too – thanks, Gerlinde.
This salsa is pretty enough to make any meal fit for a holiday. GREG
Thanks, Greg – I make a lot of salsas to brighten up our low salt diet –