This is the easiest recipe I have ever seen for candied citrus peel. The credit goes to “Phoo-D“, whose terrific blog I discovered while testing a cake from Winnie Abramson AKA “Healthy Green Kitchen“.
I’m featuring Winnie and her “Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Cake” on my blog this week. When I noticed that her cake calls for candied Meyer Lemon peel, I asked Winnie for her recipe. She kindly referred me to “Phoo-D” and I soon learned what a winner it is!
Yields 1 cup
- 4 Meyer lemons
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups organic cane sugar, divided use
1. Using a vegetable peeler with a wide blade, cut off strips of peel, avoiding the white pith. Cut into matchstick-sized pieces.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the water and i cup of the sugar over medium heat until mixtures bubbles slightly.
3. Remove pan from heat and add chopped peel to the syrup.
4. Sprinkle second cup of sugar on a platter. Spoon the peel onto the sugar and roll to coat with sugar.
5. Place sugared peel on a cutting board to dry for an hour.
6. Use or store in fridge up to one week.