Sorting through my holiday recipes, I stumbled on an old favorite for a rich caramelized onion pudding that goes well with turkey, chicken, pork or beef. This is a versatile side dish for cold-weather gatherings that is simple to prepare.
Be certain to slowly caramelize the onions until they are golden brown and sweet.
TIP: It will take you about 15 minutes to properly caramelize the onions.
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled, sliced and cut into half circles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter. When melted, add the onions and the thyme. Cook slowly, over medium-low heat, until the onions turn limp and brown.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Using a mixer, beat the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and mix well over medium speed.
4. Lower the mixer speed and add the cream.
5. Grease a medium-sized gratin dish. Add the onions. Cover with the pudding mixture.
6. Bake 40 minutes or until browned and bubbly.